STREET JUSTICE
My take on violence is as follows: I’m generally not a violent person, hell, the last time I got in a fight was some years ago when some drunken wannabe frat boy from BU randomly walked up to me on the street at 2am while I was walking home from a (losing) night of poker with friends and accused me of harassing his sister earlier that night at some party that I wasn’t even at and just punched me in the side of the head. At that point what was I to do but destroy this half-wit and his friend that was trying to pull him back? When all was said and done, his friend, rather hilariously, continued beating the crap out of him for putting him in such a stupid situation as I walked toward the Cambridge Street bridge (as featured in a scene from the original Thomas Crown Affair) and home. There are just certain situations where flight is not an option. It’s a survival instinct and a natural human thing. Sometimes though, you also just can’t help it and there is no other way to get your point across. What’s the point of this, you ask? Well, someone that works for this very magazine, someone that we trust, is taking advantage of that fact and has been stealing brand new records out of the to-be-reviewed bin. This is the second time it’s happened in the last six-or-so months and most recently stole FIVE FUCKING LPS!! You have got to be a complete loser and absolute fucking coward to steal records from here. These were brand new records that you can get anywhere and if you can’t afford to buy them, boo-fucking-hoo. This is a business and a home, not some fucking collective free-box. Not only are you taking advantage of us, but you are taking away from a punk record archive that is the only one like it in the entire world, and you are ruining things for the other 60-plus Shitworkers that come through these doors every month by forcing us to question intentions. So, next time you come by, and unfortunately this will fall on everyone and not just the pathetic piece of shit responsible, don’t be surprised if things seem a little awkward. It’s an inevitability and as much as I’d like it not to happen… The bottom line is this: you have proven that you are absolute scum on multiple occasions (it’s easy to profile that it was the same person when all of these stolen records are similar in style/scene) and when we find out who you are, and we will find out, it’s gonna get nasty and after you’re “dealt with,” we will drag you through the mud so bad that you are never trusted, ever again, by anyone. Aaaahhhrrrggg. This shit makes me so mad.
On a much lighter note, the haus has been chock full of punks from all over the globe of late and it’s been tons of fun. Most recently the Aussie buoys and gulls from Straightjacket Nation spent close to a week here at the Maxipad and green taped and filed an immeasurable amount of records. I’d just like to say that on top of being a face-ripping top-notch band, Dan, Emily, Dave, Al, and Clint are first-class individuals and I had tons of fun enjoying your company and you are welcome back any time. Fuckin’ sick! It still makes me sad to look at the ping-pong table all put away. Straightjacket Nation and Needles’ sets last week at Balazo gallery were probably the highlights of the year as far along with Walls in the way of live shows. Needles just sounded so fuckin’ nasty and Straightjacket Nation kept that fire burning straight through to the end of the show. Pure bliss. But back to what I was saying, besides those Aussie bogans, long-time MRR contributor and scene-reporter of far away locales, Luk Haas, finally made his first trip ever to the U.S. of A. and spent some time here at the house. While he was around, not only did he record two one-hour radio shows of exotic punk from all corners of the globe (one of which is already up on our site), he took the time to sit down with Layla, Cissie, and I to let us interview him for this rag. Look for that in the next month or two. Luk’s stories and travels make me feel like a complete failure.
The land of Maximumium has been a land of great change recently and since I failed to do so in my last column, I feel it’s only right that I extend my hand to welcome in Ms Layla Gibbon as MRR’s new distro coordinator. She’s basically been at the job for two months now and has come in like a forest fire to burn out the old dead undergrowth and stimulate new growth and forward motion. I’m glad she’s here, she’s definitely taken Martin’s kick-in-the-ass-business. On a similar trajectory I think this is as good a time as any to announce that I will be stepping down as content coordinator. It’s really crazy to me that this is my tenth issue as coordinator of Maximum. This decision just made sense, really, but I will stick around as long as it is necessary to fill my shoes. We are working on a couple leads right now and we will keep you informed.
The Invasión La Caza LP is one of the most powerful hardcore records in some time. Amazing. Find it at all cost!!
I think it’s high time I pony up for a Judge New York Crew on Schism. Got one you don’t need? Or an older Judge shirt size large?
No comments:
Post a Comment