Friday, March 7, 2008

MRR column #295

After six months of living at the Maxi-pad I was fully aware that taking on the role of coordinator would be no walk in the park. Witnessing Chris burn through the night and into the daylight working on the magazine was as good an indication as any as to what I would be up against. As a reader and even as a fairly involved shitworker, you can’t really grasp how much time is gobbled up by the details. Between the endless emails, spending six hours on and subsequently losing and having to redo a layout, following up with and collecting debts, prepping the next issue, along with maintaining another full-time job and dealing with all of the other drama that life pisses on me, this month has been one for the history books. All whining aside, it’s quite an amazing honor and privilege to have this opportunity. It’s a bit of a dream come true and I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet. I’m really excited to get to work alongside Chris, who’s one of the most driven and dedicated dudes I know, Cissie, whom I’ve known for most of my adult life, and Martin who’s always there (whether he knows it or not) to give me that kick in the ass I sometimes need. I also can’t forget to give a shout out to Tim Yo for making all of this possible, every last shitworker for (most of the time) making things easier, and Andy for being Andy.

In order to help readers get to know a little more about me, here are some facts about who I am:
I still sleep with a stuffed animal “cat” (the reason I use quotes is due to the fact that he’s degenerated into a germ-infested ball of stuffing and lives in my pillow) named Boo-Boo Kitty, that was my first material possession.
I love shitty TV and even shittier movies. Some favs include The Hills, Laguna Beach, Mr. Deeds, Bring it on, and Joe Dirt.
The first album I ever owned was the CAMEO cassette with the song “Word Up” on it and my first punk album was BLACK FLAG First Four Years on cassette. The first vinyl I ever got was JUDGE’s New York Crew 7” and the most recent was the first ANTIOCH ARROW LP.

Last, but by no means least, I’d personally like to dedicate this issue to the memories of Lance Hahn for his lifetime of dedication to the Punxes, and Ben Chapman, a truly great dude who first introduced me to the likes of Pick Your King, and Japanese hardcore—you are forever in my heart and mind. “No mas Punkis Muertos!“

These things made this month not so dreadful: New 7”s from ACTS OF SEDITION, AFTER THE BOMBS, and ECOLI, the entire recorded works of UNITED MUTATION, EUCHARIST LP, ARMIA Legenda, PULP Different Class, SACRILEGE Behind the Realms of Madness, BELLE AND SEBASTIAN Boy With The Arab Strap, EL BANDA LP, cheeseburgers (sorry, not veg), A. T. L., Newcastle, the Red Sox, super Soy-Rizo burritos, NIRVANA Nevermind, and true friends.

I promise a real column next month and I’ll try my damnedest to never the the punx down.

No comments: