Friday, March 7, 2008

MRR column #299

As people the world over probably already know, San Francisco is one of the most expensive places to live in the entire US. It can be a struggle to survive here on any budget. A lot of you also probably realize the impact that the digital revolution has had on the printed word—magazines in particular. I may just be repeating what others have probably already written in this issue, but with those two facts on the table, it is with as much of a heavy heart as with anxious forward-looking eyes, that I tell you that after 30 years (25 of those in print) we have decided to move the magazine out of the Bay Area. Now that my trial period is over and I am officially a full-blown coordinator of Maximum, what better way to show what I’m made of than something this huge. Where are we going? You might ask. Well, after a couple months of researching and scouting prospective locales the choice was perfectly clear—Olympia, Washington. I think it was the right decision—the rent is cheap, it’s a pretty progressive town, and it’s got a rich punk history! The Bay Area has done us well, but it’s no longer an option to stay here. Things are gonna be rough preparing for the move and packing up the offices without missing an issue, but we’re a resourceful bunch and plan on laying down our new roots around mid-summer. Personally, I’m looking forward to new friends, new record stores, shroomin’, rain, hippies, and coffee, amongst other things. With that said, I hope no one has any sort of “hard feelings” about this decision, it’s for the best.
***
I recently read an interview with Bad Brain Darryl Jennifer in Stop Smiling magazine in which he mentioned that the Ruts were his first real exposure to reggae. I find this incredibly amusing. Not really sure why.
***
I still chuckle a few times a week about how on the Burn 7" they misspelled the title of their song “Shall be Judged” as “Shall be Jugded” on the back cover of the sleeve.
***
Yesterday at my day job I was staring at this jacket that I had left near my desk about a week ago and was thinking to myself, “I bet there’s mice in there.” Sure enough, I pick it up and shake it, and what falls out? A fuckin’ mouse. That little shit went running as I stood there listening while the rest of his tiny poops fell to the floor with little tapping sounds. I guess I’ll probably just throw it out but I love that jacket. I don’t really feel like getting the plague, ya know?
***
What happened to “yacht rock”? Is that still cool or has the entirety of the Mission hipsters that were listening to Steely Dan and Hall and Oats last year moved on to neo-disco? Regardless, it’s just as predictable anyway. Time to dust off that one sparkly silver glove for next year.
***
I try to restrict my “want” list to records that are still somewhat attainable without the temptation of selling a kidney (though I would definitely think about it, I’ve got two!). Today Mr. Postman placed in my tahini coated fingers my “top want”; LSD’s Jast Last 7". It’s not one of those (collectability wise) “next level” platters, but it’s eluded me for so long. Musically though, this thing is tops! The side-long track “Karen Nash” is one of the most hauntingly vicious and ripping hardcore songs that punk-kind has ever produced. Ever! The song opens with this quiet little unassuming intro that is the perfect “calm before the storm” moment before they turn loose the hounds and set off on a furious hell-ride of ugly Japanese hardcore that I wish would never end. I picture this song as the soundtrack to an army of vampires descending on Times Square and just ripping everyone to pieces until not one man stands intact. Towards the end of the track they break back into that intro part from the beginning (only it’s longer and a bit more complex) before busting into what is quite possibly the coolest part in any song ever. I can’t really describe it but I get chills every single time I hear it. I urge everyone out there if you haven’t already to find this thing! You will not regret it. Luckily, Schizophrenic records did the world a huge favor by releasing LSD’s discography on LP last year so it shouldn’t be that hard to track down in some form. I’m gonna go and stare at my new acquisition now, so until next month…
Next record in my cross-hairs: Anti-Septic First Last EP. If you’ve got a copy that you don’t need, holla’ atcha boy: justin@maximumrocknroll.com.

Playlist for this issue: Polish punk (once again), GG Allin, Go It Alone Histories, Soul Control Involution, The Chords, The Circles, LSD, Mentally Challenged 7", and Wipers.

No comments: